Kitchener Fee Assistance (from the City of Kitchener website):

Fee assistance is available for local children and adults who would like to participate in city programming but may not have the full financial means.

Eligible residents receive $265 per adult and $300 per child.

Annual funding is available from November 1, 2018 to October 31, 2019. You must apply to renew your Leisure Access each year.

Leisure Access can be used for the following City of Kitchener programs:

Swimming and skating

  • Swimming lessons for adults and children
  • Book of swim or skating tickets for adults, children, or seniors
  • Funds towards a three-month swim pass (valid at indoor and outdoor pools and Kiwanis Park)

Camps, sports and recreation programs

  • March Break and summer camps
  • Leadership programs
  •  BYLD (Building Youth Leadership Development)
  • Summer Playground programs
  • Summer junior tennis camp, junior and adult tennis lessons
  • Golf lessons, passes and carts
  • Spikes volleyball program
  • Leisure and older adult programs
  • Kitchener Market Classes
  • Senior membership passes

The fee-assistance program cannot be used for (The Jump-Start program may be able to assist with some of these items.)

  • Programs offered by neighbourhood associations at our community centres. Please contact each neighbourhood association directly.
  • Minor sports organizations (i.e., hockey, soccer, gymnastics, baseball). Please contact each sport organization directly.
  • Private or semi-private swimming lessons.
  • Recertification in aquatic leadership programs.
  • Manuals, exam fees or administrative fees for swimming programs.
  • Program or supply costs for leisure programs (i.e., art supplies).
  • Youth Basketball Association summer camp.

Application Process

  • Download the application form, or pick one up at any Kitchener community centre or pool. This application is available in accessible formats upon request.
  • Return a completed application form with proof of income and address verification to:
    1. Any City of Kitchener indoor pool or community centre
    2. By mail or in person to:
    Leisure Access Administrator,
    City of Kitchener, Community Services Dept.
    200 King St. W., 7th floor, PO Box 1118
    Kitchener, ON N2G 4G7
    3. Scan and email to
  • If you qualify, a participation card will be mailed to you — please allow up to 10 business days for processing.
  • Take the participation card to the location where you want to register for a City program.

Kidsport Funding for Sport Activities

Kitchener and Waterloo families may be eligible for up to $300 per child toward sports programs for children under the age of 18.  For more information and an application form, visit the Kidsport website.  Kidsport funding is paid directly to the organization running the sport or classes.

The completed application can be sent by email  or by postal mail/delivery to:

KidSport Kitchener Waterloo
c/o The Family Centre
65 Hanson Ave.
Kitchener, ON N2C 2H6

 Jumpstart Funding for Organized Sports

If your family is struggling to pay for organized sports or fitness class registration fees, equipment, and transportation for children aged 4-18, you may also qualify for additional jumpstart funding paid directly to the service organization.  Start by filling out an application for funding through the jumpstart program.

City of Waterloo Fee Assistance (from the City of Waterloo website)

Fee assistance is available for local children and adults who would like to participate in City of Waterloo programming but who may not have the financial means to do so.

Eligible Waterloo residents receive the assistance in the form of a credit towards direct city recreational programs and affiliated minor sports and arts programs.

Applying for fee assistance

Download this brochure and application form to begin the fee-assistance process. The brochure contains full program, application and eligibility details. You can also pick up the form at City Hall or recreation facilities.


The fee assistance leisure access program is based on permanent residency and total household income, as is outlined in the brochure. Fee assistance cannot be used to pay for fundraising or membership fees, dues, admission or ticket costs, or program materials and supplies.

Frequently asked questions

Q. How do I apply for fee assistance?

A. Take the signed, completed fee-assistance form and proof of total household income to any of our recreation facilities or mail them to City Hall.

City of Waterloo
c/o Lynn Dicks-Egley
100 Regina St. S.
PO Box 337, Station Waterloo
Waterloo, Ont. N2J 4A8

Fax: 519.747.8754

Q. When and how often should I apply?

A. You must apply annually, at any time throughout the year.

Q. How much credit will I receive?

A. If approved, you will receive an annual maximum credit of $300 per person, depending on budget availability.

Q. When will I find out if my application was approved?

A. If approved, you will receive a confirmation letter and a leisure access card in the mail within two weeks of your application.

Q. How do I use the leisure access card?

A. Simply show your card when you register for a program and your credit will be applied to the program fee. For minor sports and arts programs, you will need to call us at 519-747-8512 TTY (For Deaf) 1-866-786-3941 to let us know what you signed up for and how much it cost. If you use your annual credit before Nov. 30, you will need to begin paying full price for programs. You may then apply for fee assistance the next year.

Q. Is the leisure access card good from January until December?

A. No, the calendar year for fee assistance is Dec. 1 to Nov. 30 each year.