November 18th, 2016
Thank you to all the parents that came in to talk about their children. It was great to connect to you and hopefully bring light to some of the successes as well as the next steps that can be done in the classroom and at home. One of the main discussions was bringing the classroom outside of Room 19 and into the real world. Take a look at this TED Talk about bringing the Classroom to life here!
Great work on our area of focus on Geometry and Measurement. A lot of our approach in Math is to make real world connections to applying the Math in an easy and clear way. We look for the connections that are found between the strands and apply our learning from earlier in the year to new and more challenging concepts.
Things to know:
- We have been talking about using the WRDSB Digital Library OverDrive found here. There are lots of eBooks and Audio Books in both French and English
- Please follow Room 19 on Twitter and Instagram using @mr.ericmendes
This week in Room 19:
- Our letters are almost done and will be ready to mail out this week! We really know a lot about persuasive arguments and talking about effective introductions to hook the reader! Have this discussion at home and ask to see their letters that were written specifically to a person.
- We will begin looking at what it really means when the teacher says ‘You need more detail’ through infering in our reading. We will look at a variety of texts and medias to make inferences and talk about how we know what we see.
- Grade 5 – We will take our learning about triangles and what makes them similar and different and various ways to compare them and begin to build them with given criteria and display them will all the attributes possible to definitively prove they are what they are.
- Grade 6 – We will take our learning about triangles and what makes them similar and different and various ways to compare them and begin to build them with given criteria and display them will all the attributes possible to definitively prove they are what they are.
- Grade 5 – We are going to look once again at the structure of the Provincial and Federal Governments and what their roles are to provide structure in our communities. Here is a video created by the Ottawa Citizen. S
- Grade 6 – We will begin our focus on identity and what makes the Region of Waterloo a great place to live and work in. We are beginning to look at Why Berlin changed it’s name in 1916 and debate the two sides. There are many great resources to also have this discussion at home. Our live debates will be broadcasted with a schedule to come out in the near future.
At all times, students are permitted to take home any work in Math, Social Studies to help them review for future tasks, assignments and tests. Unfortunately work cannot be completed at home. Thanks for your support in your child’s learning!